This is a seminar on classical results in Algebraic Topology.
The seminar is modeled on the seminar organized by Dan Kan in MIT.
Each week, one of the participants will give a talk about a classical paper in Algebraic Topology (most of the papers are from the 50's-70's).
We will try to reinterpret and simplify (some of) the papers using the modern language of ∞-categories and higher algebra.
The meetings take place on Sundays at 10:00-12:00 (note the time change!), in Sprinzak 27.
If you are going to participate, please let me know by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, look at the papers suggestion, and try to pick one.
Feel free to talk to me, e.g. by email.
The first two talks will be introductory, and serve as a background for many of the other talks.
Everyone is encouraged to give a talk some time at the semester.
- 27/10/2019 - Shay Ben Moshe - ∞-Categories and Spectra (intro)
- 03/11/2019 - Shachar Carmeli - Steenrod Algebra (intro)
- 10/11/2019 - Shauly Ragimov - Milnor, On Manifolds Homeomorphic to the 7-Sphere
- 17/11/2019 - Danil Akhtiamov - Strom, A simple homotopy-theoretical proof of the Sullivan conjecture
- 24/11/2019 - Danil Akhtiamov cont., Ariel Davis - Adams, On the groups J(X)—IV
- 01/12/2019 - Ariel Davis cont.
- 08/12/2019 - Daniel Kaner - Harris, Bott Periodicity via Simplicial Spaces
- 15/12/2019 - Segev Cohen - Kan, A Combinatorial Definition of Homotopy Groups
- 22/12/2020 - Elhanan Nafha - Sullivan, Infinitesimal computations in topology (rational homotopy theory)
- 29/12/2019 - no meeting (Hanukkah)
- 05/01/2020 - Shaul Barkan - Mandell, E∞ algebras and p-adic homotopy theory
- 12/01/2020 - no meeting (Abel in Jerusalem)
- 19/01/2020 - Kesha - Wall, Finiteness Conditions for CW-Complexes
- 26/01/2020 - Arye Deutsch - Frobenius algebras and 2D topological quantum field theories (following Kock)
There are many great classical papers in Algebraic Topology.
A handful of papers are listed below, just give you some ideas.
There are a lot more wonderful papers, many of them listed in the lists linked below.
- Brown, Cohomology Theories
- Quillen, Rational Homotopy Theory
- Miller, The Sullivan Conjecture on Maps from Classifying Spaces (or other proofs)
- Milnor, On Manifolds Homeomorphic to the 7-Sphere
- Wall, Finiteness Conditions for CW-Complexes
- Adams, On the groups J(X)—IV
- Harris, Bott Periodicity via Simplicial Spaces